In conformity with best practice, the Sáliba wordlist was archived in the following formats.
- The words and glosses themselves were saved in XML. View raw XML file
- Images of the original 15-page wordlist were stored in TIFF format.
- The original cassette recording was digitized in WAV format.
As well as providing the data in these best practice formats, Dr. Gary Simons provided E-MELD with an XSL stylesheet that can be used to display the Sáliba wordlist online. The three data formats above – text, image and audio – were prepared for presentation as follows.
- The XSL stylesheet was prepared that would transform the raw XML file into an HTML page.
- The original 15-page wordlist was stored as archival quality TIFF files that were transformed to GIFs for Web presentation, a file format for smaller (in terms of file size) but lower quality images.
- The single large archival WAV file of the entire elicitation session was broken into many small files, one per word.
View the Sáliba documentation in best practice presentation format.
- Get Started: Summary of the Sáliba conversion
- Digitize Audio: Digitizing Audio page (Classroom)
- Digitize Images: Digitizing Images page (Classroom)
- Digitize Text: XML page (Classroom)
- Create Metadata: Metadata page (Classroom)
- Web Presentation: Stylesheets page (Classroom)
|About the Data|
Search the Lexicon
|About the Language|
|User Contributed Notes
E-MELD School of Best Practices: Sáliba Wordlist
|+ Add a comment|
|+ View comments|