The Reading Room is designed to suggest background reading on all aspects of the
digitization of language documentation, as well as on the languages in the Case Studies.
Currently, the Reading Room features a rapidly increasing annotated bibliography, which
includes both web links and printed material.
The Reading Room is searchable by topic, author and/or title. The form may be filled out to broadly search all topics, to narrowly search a specific topic by a specific author and, if desired, a specific title. If too few references are returned, broaden the search by specifying information for less categories. If too many references are returned, narrow the search by specifying information for more categories.
The searchable topics include:
- All: search all topics
- General: references not specific to the other topics
- Audio/Video: guides to the use and digitization of Audio and Video data
- Text: guides to the use and digitization of text
- Images: guides to the use and digitization of images
- Annotation: guides on annotation practices
- Lexicons: information on lexicons
- Interlinear Glossed Text: references on IGT
- Unicode: guides to Unicode
- XML: references for XML
- Stylesheets: guides to XSLT
- Metadata: information on collecting metadata
- Archives: information on creating and maintaining an archive
- Ethics: guides on ethics and intellectual property rights
- Resource Creation: references for creating linguistic resources
- Tools: information on linguistic tools
- Biao Min: language resources for Biao Min
- Mocoví: language resources for Mocoví
- Potawatomi: language resources for Potawatomi
- Monguor: language resources for Monguor
- Ega: language resources for Ega
- Tofa: language resources for Tofa
- Sáliba: language resources for Sáliba
- Kayardild: language resources for Kayardild
- Dena'ina: language resources for Dena'ina
It is also possible to add references to the E-MELD Reading Room to extend the bibliography. All submissions to the bibliography will be reviewed by E-MELD research assistants before being approved and displayed on the site.